
My disclaimer: I never want to write anything that comes across as negative or unthankful for my family or what God has blessed me with! I do want to remember that even though everything isn't always peachy, we all love each other and recognize that we have so much to be thankful for. I wouldn't trade my family for anything on earth. I find encouragement in knowing that other families have the same "challenges" that we have. Maybe recording this will be an encouragement to me one day when I am going through the "terrific three's" with Miss Audrey!

I have heard the phrase "it's just a phase" so many times these past three and a half years and so far, it has proven to be true (except for the sleeping thing... I'm still waiting to be out of that phase!) One of my friends said her mom told her, and I think I have blogged it before, with children, each age you give up some things but get something else... There are definitely fun things about each age and some not so fun things! I have to say, parenting a three year old is definitely a challenge! To be fair, there are moments when Addy can melt my heart. She makes us laugh every day and can be so tenderhearted and I love the confidence boost I receive when she tells me "Mommy, you look so cute!" but honestly, there are some moments I'd rather not remember! I have recently decided that maybe she's not so abnormal with the meltdowns over what some might call "minor" issues (the seam of her sock isn't straight across her toes, I messed up her hair when I brushed it, her syrup on her pancake has soaked in and now she needs more, etc. etc.) as I have heard more than one mom of a child this age attest to their own children's meltdowns over similar issues. Sometimes you just have to laugh but other times it is hard to keep your cool! Our pastor recently cited the verse from Psalms 19 - "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." I have found myself repeating those words many times in the last week or so!

On a lighter note, Addy is preparing to be a big sister and she has changed sister's name from Strawberry Shortcake to Ariel Baby. We had embraced "Strawberry" as a fun nickname so it's been hard to remember to call her Ariel but Addy is quick to remind us if we ever say her name is Audrey... no mama, it's Ariel Baby! She apparently has a line to Audrey already that no one else has...she will tell us what sissy said or did today and she loves to give sissy hugs and tell her good night. She is pumped about being a big helper when baby sister arrives so I hope that will carry on... right now, she really likes being the center of attention! She likes to feel sister move in my tummy - anytime she puts her hand on my belly she says she felt her move - even if it's just me breathing! Ha ha!

She has been asking us questions about death and heaven lately. One of our friends' grandparent passed away and that's what started it all - she has been very curious. She will bring up a question about heaven or death at the most random times. It is neat to get to answer her questions about heaven and Jesus. She received the Jesus Storybook Bible (love this!) for her birthday and we have read through it and she loves to pick a story to read at bedtime each night. Her current favorites are anything to do with Pharoah, Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection. I don't know how much she understands but I know we will keep reading it and praying for her salvation when she is old enough to understand.

Helping put away silverware!
I've quoted that scripture a lot lately too! I wish the Terrible Twos were the end of it, but I've heard almost every parent say the Threes are even more challenging. It is VERY clear how thankful you are for your family! This will just keep it real for when you read it again in a few years :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tiffany! I feel like the two's were fine but three has been more challenging! But I have been told four is better ;) I guess every child is different!
Delete