We have enjoyed simple suppers this summer (say that 5 times fast!) and I wanted to corral the recipes I have used over and over in one easy to get to place. I didn't attempt to take pictures of my food before/during/after so there's nothing to see...
Roasted Broccoli - this is a Barefoot Contessa recipe (via amateurgourmet, modified) that made it to Pinterest... Addy asks for this regularly!
Preheat the oven to 425.
One bunch of broccoli is the right size for our family or if I'm in a hurry I use the broccoli florets that are in the bag for steaming because they're already washed and cut off in bite size pieces. (If you have to wash, the recipe says to dry it "obsessively!")
I cover a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper to make for easy cleanup. Put the broccoli on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil (about 2-3 Tbsp), kosher salt (just a light sprinkle - not even a teaspoon), ground pepper (maybe 1 1/2 tsp), and minced garlic (1 1/2 tsp). (The recipe calls for fresh but minced is all I ever have.)
Roast in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until it reaches the tenderness you desire. The first time I made it I thought I burned it but I actually think it tastes best when the florets start getting a little brown and crispy.
When you take it out of the oven, zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the broccoli, add a smidge more olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Delicious!
Oven "Fried" Squash
Cheri introduced me to cooking squash this way. It sort of tastes like fried squash but you don't have to deal with all the mess!
5 - 6 yellow squash (I have also used zucchini but I think squash is better)
Panko (I don't measure but I would guess maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
Cornmeal (again, just a guess would be 1/2 cup)
salt & pepper
2 - 3 Tbsp butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400. Slice squash and place into a gallon size Ziploc bag. Pour cornmeal, panko, and pepper (salt is optional - it's salty enough without any to me) on top and close the bag. Shake, trying to get "batter" on all the pieces of squash. It won't stick that great but don't worry.
I cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the squash in a single layer. I sprinkle some of the cornmeal mixture on top of the squash if it looks like it didn't stick very well. Drizzle a few drops of melted butter on each piece - it's easier than it sounds. Cook for 40 - 60 minutes, until desired browning has occurred. If I'm being impatient, I sometimes use tongs to flip the pieces over after about 30 minutes but I don't think it really makes it go faster.
This is also an Addy favorite!
Sauteed Fresh Corn - Barefoot Contessa - links to foodnetwork.com
This recipe calls for 8 - 10 ears of corn but I usually just reduce it to three if I'm making it for us, or more if needed. It is super easy and super tasty!
Peach Cobbler - Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook
This is a Courtney favorite - Addy won't go near it! Dad brought us Chilton County peaches a couple of times this summer so I haven't made it with canned fruit but that's what the recipe calls for...
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 c self-rising flour
3/4 c milk
2 cups fresh fruit (can use blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, apples, peaches or pears) peeled and cored and slightly sweetened (let the fruit sit for a little bit to make it syrupy) OR use one 28 ounce can sliced peaches in syrup, undrained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in deep baking dish and place in oven to melt. Mix sugar and flour; add milk slowly to prevent lumping. Pour over melted butter. Do not stir! Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Still do not stir; batter will rise to the top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. I recommend serving with homemade vanilla ice cream!
No comments:
Post a Comment