Sunday, October 24, 2010

Deep Thoughts about Parenting...

We're two weeks into the 2nd year and I can tell something is different.  This is going to be a little tougher.  I told Courtney today - up until now, I've worried about keeping Addy alive... making sure she's fed and clothed and warm and loved.  But now I think we've got to focus a little more on making sure she turns out okay!  Like she has to learn right from wrong... that the world doesn't revolve around her... that she can't always have her way... that she has to be sweet and not bratty!

Pitching a small fit because I took her toy away...
She is starting to assert her will - she is figuring out that if she cries, sometimes she can get her way (like if we are at church or in public!).  She has been fussy over the weekend and in general, not acting like herself so I am not sure if she feels 100% yet.  Her shots at the 12 month doctor appointment last week really threw her for a loop.  She ran a fever over 101 that night and she was just whiny and kind of subdued for a few days.  We went to a birthday party this afternoon and she was fussy and ill... we tried to say she was just hot... or tired... or teething.  But I feel like we are making excuses for her! 

I am struggling with this - I know she knows what she is doing sometimes... but if we were to spank her or do "time out" or whatever other method of discipline we choose to use when she is just acting fussy and not being sweet... would she get it yet?  She gets it if she does something you tell her not to do and then gets in trouble (like play with the trash or open a cabinet that is off limits)... but does she "get it" when she's acting up or is that just normal 1 year old behavior?  I just don't want to wait too late to start molding her but I don't know if she understands yet. 

I wish she had come with an instruction manual...
Daddy is funny...

My two loves at the birthday party this afternoon.  They matched with their orange and white!  And I promise it wasn't planned, Heath :)

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, this post is so relevant to my very struggle right now. Luke is in the same phase of life and I feel so unprepared! Just last week Luke decided to assert his will at wal-mart and I sat in the car afterwards and cried just because I had no idea what to do. Not that I was embarrassed or thought this was who he was but how do I discipline him at this age? If not, when do I start? And at what point do I miss that battle of wills where he wins and thinks that's how it goes. Praying for God's wisdom and discernment for us both...thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will struggle with this forever! Or atleast I still do and Tucker is almost 4! You are wonderful parents and wonderful people, so there is no way that that precious baby is not going to turn out to be wonderful just like you! But I totally understand your struggle...just know it's very normal to feel that way. :)

    ReplyDelete